Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Talent Tuesday

Welcome to another Tuesday! It is my pleasure to introduce you today to a very talented and clever lady, Debi Nicol. I have had the opportunity to meet Debi in person and I must say that she is incredibly sweet and a lot of fun. She amazes me with the things she comes up with for projects and the knowledge she has on so many things. She is the Thursday Tips coordinator for UDI, and she always brings us innovative and useful tips. The project she recently created once again attests to her cleverness and talent.

So without further ado, here is Debi and her great project:

Hello, my name is Debi Nicol and I am a papercrafter. I formally had a hobby of making quilts but I found that I can get more accomplished in a shorter time with the cards and scrapbooking. Then I am able to bless others with the projects. My DH wanted to keep every single quilt I ever made!! A few years ago I had a friend who invited me to a SU! workshop and I had told her, "no, I cannot start another hobby, and I know I would want to." I held out for another year and then was being nice to another hostess and the rest is all piling up since then. I enjoy paper as much as I enjoyed my fabric stash. The good thing is the paper doesn't take as much room, but my fun tools do! I joined SU! under my daughter because I wanted the discount for my ever increasing hobby. It is so much fun to have a hobby that I and my DD and soon to be DIL can enjoy and spend lots of time together.

Perhaps about a year after I began SU!, my DD asked me if I would like to become involved with the UDI Divas which was where she was getting lots of ideas and new friends from across the globe. I wanted in! I have enjoyed my time with UDI and even attended the first annual retreat in Salt Lake City, Utah last fall. It was wonderful to put a face to all those that we had only 'spoken' to over the internet. I am the Thursday tips lady! I try to give new and fresh ideas to use our many products that we so love as well as, what to do to keep our earth green by crafting! Thanks for your time and interest in our blog!

Debi Nicol from St Louis area



I wanted to find something to do with the numerous cd's that my DH was throwing out so I made a photo holder for a tabletop. It has a cd sandwiched between 2 pieces of CS. Using the stem from Refuge and Strength on Garden green, I stamped just the edges. Then I put the verse from Beautiful life in the center. With the same garden green, I sponged the edging of the green on the front and back.

Next I needed my crop-a-dile to punch my hole in the cd with ease. Now the smaller circle with the picture on it is first a patterned napkin that I ran through the Xyron for stickiness and adhered it to the CS. It is really soft to the touch. I did punch it out with a Marvy giga punch since it is 3 sheets of CS to give it stability.

Punching holes in the smaller circle was a challenge since they were on a curved surface. I did use eyelets on them and some old SU! gold cord to have my dangling disks of ShrinkyDink that I hand drew some fun hearts and a flower in lovely lilac to give it more color and movement. The top hole is connected to the frame with a simple knotted lovely lilac grosgrain to allow movement. Then to complete the frame I made a kickstand for the backside and adhered it with red sticky tape.

This does take a little bit of time, but I think it was worth it.

Supply list:

Stamps: Refuge and Strength, Beautiful Life

Ink: Garden Green

Paper: Garden Green, Confetti White CS

Accessories: CD, sponge, Crop-A-Dile, Xyron machine, Marvy giga punch, sticky tape, gold eyelets, non-SU! Patterned napkin, Lovely Lilac grosgrain, retired gold cording, Lovely Lilac marker on the Shrinky Dink

Thank you, Debi, for sharing your project with us! I can't wait to see what you come up with next :)

5 comments:

Maxine Conrad said...

Too cute Debi! Thank you for sharing this with us. Like Michelle, I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Leonie Schroder said...

Debi its great to learn a little more about you and this project is lovely. I do hope we get more 'scriptural' stamps in our new cattie that comes out in April - not long now! Aussie Hugs, Leonie

Denise Foor Studio PA said...

What a great idea. Love to recycle. Keep these ideas coming.

Denise in PA

Denise Foor Studio PA said...

I really love any project that uses recycled items. This is a terrific idea.

Denise in PA

Rachel said...

What a great idea - thanks for sharing