Friday, March 14, 2008

Snappy Friday!

Welcome to another Friday!

Today I am posting an ENTIRE TUTORIAL created by Tami Maerten. Tami is brand new to Utah Divas International, but has been stamping for some time. Here is what she has to say about her hobby....

"I am not only ADDICTED to stamping ... I NEED to stamp OR I need an intervention. :) I went to my first Stampin' Up party in 1999 right after my first child was born. I thought it was ridiculous for people to spend so much money just to make a card. I bought the Business Booster Stamp set for my Pampered Chef business. Then I started using it, masking out the business stuff to make personal cards. Next thing I knew, I was hounding down any show I could find so I could learn new techniques. I became so obnoxious that I had four demonstrators showing me everything they knew ... but they always knew MORE!!! So, after we moved into a larger home and had our fourth child, I decided I had to quit spending all my money on stamps and start selling them to support my habit. I am always amazed that at every Stampin' Up event I learn even MORE new techniques. The Snappy Birthday card was my moment of inspiration. We had just introduced the dual oval punches and there was this CRAB card. I realized the ovals HAD to be used for claws. I had to engineer them just right. Before the set even arrived, I had it all worked out. I even submitted the card two months later for a "Projects with Punch" contest. I didn't win. I could only deduce that it was because it was in the Mini Catalog and the winner would be announced after the mini catalog period. This project just ROCKS so hard it HAD to be the only reason."


Supplies: Crab & Company stamp set; Whisper White, Cool Carribean, Real Red & Tempting Turquoise cardstock; Basic Black, Real Red, Cool Carribean, Creamy Caramel, Tempting Turquoise & Yo Yo Yellow Classic Ink; Aquapainters, Lg Oval Punch, Sm Oval Punch, Word Window Punch, 1/16" Punch, Slot Punch, Silver & Bold Bright Brads, Stampin' Dimensionals, Glue Dots, Snail Adhesive & Twill Tape




Directions:
Cut a half sheet of Real Red and score in half; Cut Tempting Turquoise to 4" X 5" and mount on Real Red card front; Cut Cool Carribean to 2" X 4" and punch two slots with Slot Punch in the middle of the Cool Carribean approximately 1/4" apart.

Cut Whisper White to 2" X 4" and stamp the crab with Basic Black in the center and the cake and present to either side.



Using a paper cutter, cut a straight line horitzonally across the top of the crab from edge to edge so that you cut off his claws, but NOT his eyes. Trim out his eyes as shown in the next picture.









Watercolor the sand and sky. Set aside to dry.













Punch 2 Real Red Large Ovals and 2 Real Red Small Ovals. Using papersnips, cut a portion of the ovals off and create a jagged edge to resemble claws. Pair one large and one small oval with jagged edges facing one another, punch a 1/16" hole in the bottom and hinge with a red brad. Repeat for other claw in opposing direction.





Punch two Cool Carribean pieces with the Word Window Punch. Punch one Whisper White piece with the Word Window Punch. Place these pieces in a Y shape and place a brad through all three pieces at the common juncture with the white piece on top. Place a brad through the top of each of the Cool Carribean pieces.






Arrange the top of the Y shape to fit through the two slots in the large Cool Carribean piece. Adhere the Cool Carribean piece in the top center of the Tempting Turquoise piece with Snail adhesive at the top and Stampin' Dimensionals at the bottom.









Now carefully color the gift, cake and crab. Stamp "Snappy Birthday" in Basic Black on a piece of Twill Tape and frey edges. Adhere Twill Tape with Glue Dots under the crab.







Adhere crab claws with Stampin' Dimensionals on the large oval and attach the small oval to the brads of the Y with glue dots.











Adhere crab piece under but overlapping slightly the Cool Carribean piece with Snail adhesive on the top and Stampin' Dimensionals on the bottom.










Adhere the Twill Tape under your crab. Now that the project is completed, pull the Whisper White bottom of the Y and watch the claws open and close. If it doesn’t move correctly, you may want to toggle the white piece to make sure it’s centered and moving up and down, not diagonal.

I agree Tami, it ROCKS, for sure!

1 comment:

carolm said...

tami, i love your little crab. i have a thing for crabs . . . probably because i've been called my all of the life. lol

the use of the punches is so creative. thanx so much for sharing.

cheers ~ carol.