Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Talc Embossing

Hello everyone! I'm excited to show you this technique from Adriana Benitez - it's called Talc Embossing. How very cool - I never would have thought of this. Take a look and see how she did it:

The background of the card was made using a technique called "Talc Embossing". It's a great way to add texture that was completely new to me, thought I'd pass it along.

This technique works best with a simple bold image stamp. I used our single stamp Flowers in Silhouette. (This stamp is currently available, but will be moving to the "dormant list" with the release of our next catalog on July 1st.) Instead of loading the stamp with ink, I dabbed Tombow liquid glue onto it and then stamped it onto Very Vanilla cardstock. I added more glue for each stamped image then cleaned the stamp before proceeding. An old toothbrush can help you get any extra glue out of the recesses of the stamp.


I then poured talc (baby powder) onto the glue-stamped images making sure to cover them well. Tip the paper, tapping the edges, to get the excess off. Set aside to dry - depending on the size of the image it doesn't take very long. Next, I pressed one of my Stampin' Sponges onto So Saffron Classic ink and lightly rubbed the sponge over the embossed images. I wanted to keep the background subtle so I only went over the images a time or two; I'm sure going over more or with more pressure would give you a bolder image.

That's all there is to the technique. After that it was just a matter of finishing the card; I left it simple so that I wouldn't draw too much attention away from my "hard" work. lol

Hope you enjoy this technique. Try it - I'd love to see what you come up with!


Seriously, how do people come up with these ideas? I'm always amazed at the variety of ways we can use our rubber stamps. I'm definitely "Wowed" Adriana - thanks so much for sharing this technique!


1 comment:

carolm said...

ok, i'm confused. do you heat emboss it? your note just says to let it dry and then sponge it with color.

can you please clarify? thanx.

xoxo