Saturday, June 21, 2008

Saturday Scallops


Today it's my pleasure to be able to introduce Janice RR to you. Janice is so very creative and kind. I'm looking forward to getting to know her better. Here is what she has to say...

I was born and raised in Austin, Minnesota, a small agricultural community whose only claim to fame is that it's the corporate headquarters of the Hormel Company! (let's hear a "yeah" for SPAM!!!) My parents have both passed away; I have one brother, 2 years older, in Palm Springs, CA, as well as my neice and her family and my nephew. I live in Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento (home of the infamous "terminator" governor, Arnold!)

I'm 60 years old (yup - that last one was the first one that was a little 'tough'!!) I am married to John - we have no kids (my 3rd marriage, his 2nd) but have three beautiful "babies" - Maggie, black lab; Molly, blonde cocker spaniel; and Mindy, black and buff cocker spaniel. (yes, we are DEFINITELY "dog people"!!) Photo attached from that "milestone" birthday last August - me and my "little girls", RV camping at Clearlake, CA. . . . sorry, Mindy is quite immodest in this photo!!)

I spent 18 years teaching high school English and journalism, and being a guidance counselor. Then into corporate America - marketing and communications for a large HMO. For the last 5 years I've owned my own business as a print broker (middleman between a business needing printing, and several different printers I use). I am looking to get out of this and go back to work for someone else for a few years, before retiring (for a variety of reasons, too long to post here!)

I have always loved crafts, and have done LOTS of them all my life - but never as "committed" (read "obsessed"!!) as I am now to stamping and scrapbooking. I've been a demo for 5 years and am now ready to take it from "hobbyist" to "business" . . . planning for retirement!! This will be my first convention - and I am so thrilled to have "found" UDI!! THANK YOU Kathy Blanco, who is a member of a small "online swap" I started a year ago. I love Stampin' Up - as well as all the other "stuff" out there. A new independent scrapbooking store opened about 2 miles from me, a year ago - VERY bad for my pocketbook!! But I've met new customers there, when taking classes, etc. - as well as gotten lots of great ideas I then "translate" with S. U. products! I don't do many "parties" at this time - but have had a monthly group of women who meet at my house, for about 5 years. Originally 10 women, there are 14 of them now - with a waiting list - so I need to start another group, I think . . . .I'm looking forward to other ideas about growing my business, from the Divas, and convention.

Thanks for looking - and thank you ALL for being the caring, giving, women that you are . . . I am so PROUD to be
a Diva!!!
Here's all the info about her beautiful creation.....
As usual, when a "special" comes out, I go waaaaay overboard . . . and purchased 5 packages of the "wild wasabi mistake" cards a few months ago. THEN - I had to figure out what in the world to DO with all of them! I love wasabi and pomegranate, so came up with this card. I cut 1" off the unscored end of the card so it could "fold under" the flap on the other end. I stamped the "Embrace Life" flower on white with pomegranate ink - used Old Olive brads for the centers. Used the slit punch to make scallops for under the flap (I sure wish someone would tell me an "easy way" to do that . . . punching scallops is a pain!!) - the card stock is pomegranate - the designer paper is pomegranate - the double stitched ribbon is wasabi. On the inside of the card, "Thinking of You" (wasabi ink) is from "Sincere Salutations". I found the little leaf in the "With Gratitude" set - stamped them in wasabi and then cut them out and slipped them under the flower for a little "dimension". I used little pieces of Velcro to close the card.
Oh - yes - I always love to stamp envelopes to go with my cards, too - used the Embrace Life flower again, in pomegranate!! Finished card size is 4.5" x 4.5" - I bought 5" x 5" envelopes -

Thanks for looking at my little project! I'm taking the Blogger Bootcamp right now, and working on getting my own blog up and running . . . and will post many more projects there. I cannot believe how great this group is, and how lucky I am to have "found you" . . .HUGE THANKS!!!!!! to my swapping buddy Kathy Blanco for that!! This group is sooooo cool for fun, friendships, and support in every way . . . and I love it!! Long live the Divas!!! Janice RR
Thank you so much for sharing with us, Janice. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.
Alicia :)

2 comments:

EdieB said...

I actually have one of those cards for my very own. It is so beautiful IRL, just stunning. Thank you for the card Janice.

*hugs*

EdieB

carolm said...

beautiful card janice. i will miss these in colors when they are gone.

cheers ~ carol.